Methamphetamines Meth 101 Ice

M's Story

When I was 14 I started to smoke weed. I was sitting downstairs in my friend’s basement and they kept asking me if I wanted to smoke. So, eventually I said, “Sure, why not?” I loved it. So, for about the next four months that was all that I did. At this time I did not have any problems in school, with my family, or with the police. Then I tried ice.

One day I was hanging out at my friend’s house (the one whom I stated smoking weed with) and I saw a little bag with little crystals in it. I asked him what it was. He said that it was some tina. So I begged him to let me try it. He kept saying, “No, you’ll get addicted too easily.” But, finally he let me try it. After the first time I tried it I knew that I was going to have to have it all of the time. So I started working to get money. Right when I got paid I would go and spend all of my money on ice. I quickly began to get skinnier and skinnier. My whole body looked like a skeleton. Then I stopped for about a week and gained my weight back instantly. After I noticed the extreme weight change I would always smoke one or two blunts every morning so that I could eat. That worked pretty well. My weight stayed pretty normal so that no one could tell (sic, that I was using meth).

After a while my parents began to get suspicious. So, they quit giving me money. The only thing that I could do to support my habit was to sell drugs. I did that for a while, but I quit because I was too paranoid. I began to steal my parent’s ATM card and steal their cars at night and go take two or three hundred dollars out about twice a week. I got caught doing that, so I had to find a new way to get money. I was talking to a guy one day and he said that he knew how to make ice in a fish tank. I found out how to do that and I started to make it. It cost about $75 to make. I could make $3,000 off what it made. So I did that a couple of times and thought that I had the life. As much money as I wanted and all the ice that I could dream of.

By this time I had gone crazy. I would think that bugs were crawling on me, I would think that everybody was the police, and that someone was always watching me. But, still, I thought that I was living the good life. Besides being extremely paranoid, I was constantly fighting and getting in trouble with my parents, and I quit going to school. Well, one day I got in a fight with my parents and I decided to run away. Well, after the second or third night I got arrested because the cops found me. When I got arrested I had an ice pipe, a gram of ice, and a $5 dollar bill with cocaine on it. I dropped the gram of ice and stood on it so that they wouldn’t see it. But, they still got the pipe and the bill. They asked if I had been doing drugs and I said “yes,” so I didn’t get in trouble for the drugs. So the cops told my parents and my parents signed me up for rehab about two weeks later.

After I got out I was doing pretty good for awhile. Then I ended up hanging out with my old friends and began to use again. I started stealing again. Now I’m in a treatment facility and working on my recovery. I will be leaving in a couple of weeks. I’ve been working on my N.A. twelve steps and will continue to work on them when I transition home.

September 1, 2004